To Gym or Not to Gym...

... that is the question...

I used to belong to a gym. I enjoyed the group classes, the pool, the vibe. Then they changed the class timetables so it became too hard (impossible) to get to after work, then I moved, and... like many other people, my gym membership just didn't get used.

Then age crept up to me and I didn't (want to) stop eating, so I became fatter and fatter and fatter.

My life is a constant battle between my love of food and not wanting to get fat.

I really don't want to be fat. I can't shop on online Asian clothing stores anymore because the one-size-fits-all simply don't fit. I have given away all my clothes to my sisters and to the charity bin because they simply do not fit anymore, no matter how much I tried to convince myself that "one day" I will fit once more. Plus I am wobbling in lots of places.

But I do not not want to stop eating.

I know I have to do something. If consumption of calories is to remain constant, the burning of calories has to increase. But I refuse to join the gym because I do not want to waste my money on a membership that would just gather dust and be fat in the corner.

It's time to renew that gym membership we're never going to use again.

I have been going to the gym, but on a casual basis. But this is not consistent - probably only once a month on average and (obviously) is not working. Also, my fitness level is at a 1, being the lowest. If I were in a crowd running from zombies, I would be the first one mauled.

I want to go more regularly. So, anyway, with this in mind, I joined my colleagues in checking out a new gym in town (the gym isn't new - colleagues were just looking for a new gym). I was so shiny-eyed and motivated from the vibe and all that I wanted to sign the dotted line there and then! But the logical-stubborn-voice-in-my-head said "No, stop and think! You're wasting your money!" But the logical-motivated-voice-in-my-head said "You need to do this! You'll be coming with your friends so you'll be motivated! Plus, if you come even once a week it's the same price as the weekly membership dues!"

They are both logical. I have discussed this at length with both of them and now they are both logical-doubtful-voices-in-my-head.

To gym or not to gym? That is the question.

It's a tough one.

-----------------------------

P/S: I am thinking that I should get a personal trainer - maybe he/she will whip some motivation up my butt. However, is there a personal trainer that will accept my goal - burn calories, but will not consume less calories.

Comments