I Turned 31

Today is New Year's Eve and day 2 of our cruise in Halong Bay in Vietnam. It is also my first day of being 31.
I had a great birthday yesterday. The holiday in Vietnam and scenery in Halong Bay were enough of a birthday celebration, but there were some unexpected extras.
The hotel in Hanoi (Hotel de L'Opera) had left in our room tarts and chocolates along with a card the night before. The crew on our private boat surprised me with a birthday cake and a bunch of red roses.
Cruising Halong Bay is a beautiful way to celebrate my birthday and NYE. Halong Bay is absolutely breathtaking. The grassy rocks that just rise out of water are incredible, the air is fresh, the sunset is beautiful and the stars are bright.
The quiet and calm out here is an opportune time to reflect on the year that has been and wonder what is in store in the year to come. 
2014 was a challenging year. We had family crises at the start of the year and again at the end of the year. I also did the hardest thing I've had to do in my life - I quit my job.
It was hard because I wasn't ready to leave. I didn't want to leave my friends who are now family. We spent 8 to 10 hours each day, 5 days a week. We laughed, we joked, we grumbled; I shared my hopes and dreams with these guys. We will always be in touch, but it will never be the same.
With 2015 just on the horizon, I can't help wondering what my new job is going to be like and how my path and relationships will change.
I'm a little bit hesitant and there is still quite a bit of heartache, but I'm letting go and I'm moving on. I will welcome the new year with an open heart and with a glass half-full.
Bring on 2015!
Happy New Year, everyone!

Comments