I Don't Dislike Cooking

Many people who know me will think that I don't like cooking. Well, people who really know me will know that I actually quite enjoy cooking.

Corned Silverside
Corned Silverside

What I don't like is cleaning up.

I don't like having to wipe the benches a dozen times, or cleaning splatters off the splashback. I don't like how the floors get greasy or that I have to pick up dropped ingredients or wipe up spills. I don't enjoy washing up the eleventy million prep and cooking tools.

And baking - ugh. I hate how flour gets everywhere on the bench and it's horrible to wipe up. I hate that it gets underfoot and leaves a fine dust on the floor. I hate scraping out the bowl and getting rid of the goop. And there are ten million bowls and measuring cups and measuring spoons and spatulas and beaters and trays and goop and goop and goop everywhere.

I like a tidy kitchen and I like walking around the house without getting my feet dirty.

I often fill up the sink and clean as I prep/cook/bake so the mountain isn't as arduous at the end but it is still a painful task.

I believe in not creating work for oneself. So I tend to just avoid cooking elaborate meals, or cooking altogether.

I like cooking. I just don't like cleaning.

Comments