Friday Lunch at Matsuri

My colleagues, S & H, and I decided to get Japanese one Friday. This was quite exciting as H is usually a solitary luncher and had never come out with us before.

We decided on Matsuri, the restaurant on the corner made infamous by the car crashing through the window. I've been to Matsuri a few times for dinner but have not actually been for lunch.

Matsuri
Daily Lunch Specials
Matsuri has daily lunch specials and Friday's special included:
- Tsukune (Skewered Chicken Meat Balls in Teriyaki Sauce)
- Shark Fin Flavoured Salad (Shark Fin Flavoured Jelly Fish with Vegetables)
- Tataki (Raw Beef with Garlic and Lime Vinegar Sauce)
- Seafood Mix Fry
- Sashimi


I decided to go with the special as it was a good variety and I love variety in my bentos.

S & H each decided on teriyaki beef and chicken from the main menu.

While waiting for our orders, we enjoyed the break from work and contemplated skipping work for the rest of the afternoon (reminiscent of skipping school).

Sparkling Water - None for me, thanks.

Teriyaki beef

Teriyaki Chicken

Teriyaki Beef - Closer look
Our orders arrived and to our surprise, the teriyaki was very runny - it was only slightly thicker than the miso soup on the side!  :/  Regardless, S & H both said they were still tasty.

Friday Lunch Special - Tsukune, Jellyfish Salad, Tataki, Seafood Tempura, Sashimi
Nothing unexpected in my bento. Every element was perfectly cooked and I loved every bite to the end.

Friday Lunch Special - Tsukune, Jellyfish Salad, Tataki, Seafood Tempura, Sashimi
Tsukune - I've had horrible gluggy, floury, tasteless, oily (any other adjectives!?) fried balls from other places, but these were cooked as they should be - bouncy with a slight crunch on the outside - no greasiness or glugginess at all.

Jellyfish Salad - If you've never had jellyfish salad before, it really isn't that scary. The jellyfish is sorta like crunchy noodles, but the crunch is more like a chicken cartilage crunch. Ok, maybe that's not going to entice you to try it, but I promise, it's good and nothing scary. Oh, and if you have had jellyfish salad before, the one at Matsuri is good!

Beef Tataki - Sliced very thinly and very tender.

Seafood Tempura - As it should be - delightfully crunchy outsides with juicy insides and no oiliness!

Sashimi - There was tuna and salmon sashimi. A couple of the slices of the salmon sashimi I had was slightly sinewy, but only very slightly. Apart from that, the sashimi was beautiful, melt-in-your-mouth slices, especially the tuna.

I haven't been back since but I'm planning on heading down there for a few more lunches on different days to try out the other specials!

Matsuri Japanese on Urbanspoon

Comments