I cried for a duck

On my commute to work this morning, I noticed movement on the road. As I drove closer, I realised that it was a duck.

It looked like it had been hit - there was a trail of feathers and it was struggling to move. I didn't hear it, but I imagined it was in a lot of pain and distress.


A lot of thoughts went through my head. I wanted to help, but I didn't know how. So I drove around it.

I cried.

Now, I'm not an emotional person. I'm logical, analytical, and at times, cold. I don't deal well with overly emotional people and I don't always have a lot of empathy.

But this morning, I thought of the duck and I just sat there in my car at the railway crossing and cried.

As I glanced in my side mirror, I noticed a car stopping, and the driver getting out the car. The person picked up the duck and put it next to a tree away from further harm. Then he/she pulled over and went back to tend to the duck. I didn't see what happened next - but I sent a silent thank you to the person.

I'm glad someone helped. I'm glad I saw that happen. Thank you.

Comments