What I'm Doing for #PlasticFreeJuly

I'm not sure what prompted me exactly:

- Was it something a friend shared on Facebook?
- Was it the ban on single-use plastic bags in WA from 1 July?
- Was it J's niggling that our recycling efforts are futile?
- Was it the startling amount of waste we produce as a household since having the boys?

When I first heard about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch years ago, it sounded so ridiculous that I thought it was made up. Yet it wasn't enough to make me do something - I still thought it was someone else's problem - maybe the environmentalists can deal with it.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago -  something prompted me to do a bit more research (Google and Facebook so I'm no expert), and I was shocked at how much waste there is, and how much recyclables are not actually recycled! I was (am) appalled at how much plastic we consume and the impact it has on the environment. I was also surprised that there are a growing number of people consciously fighting waste and plastic - it's not just for environmentalists. This is everyone's problem and merely putting recyclables into the yellow bin (aka me) isn't really gonna cut it.

Coincidentally, we were coming into July and WA supermarkets and major stores have stopped use of single-use plastic bags, and I came across Plastic Free July. And so, here I am, making a new (financial) year resolution to reduce use of single-use plastics. I'm only starting, and I'm no where near zero waste or even eliminating plastics altogether, but I do feel that this is an important start for me.

Here are some of the things I'm doing for #PlasticFreeJuly :

1. Use Reusable Shopping Bags

I've used supermarket "green bags" for many many years. (They literally were green - now they all have fancy prints.) I used to keep them in my car, but since having a pram that takes up the whole boot, we don't have them on us all the time. Also, often I also pop in the shops to get a couple of things and I won't have a green bag on me.

To combat that issue, I figured I needed those foldable bags (I've seen them dubbed parachute bags) and have one or two in my handbag at all times. I used to think they would break with weight but they're actually extremely durable and will hold more than you can carry.



I decided to get these from Jack & Jules. They are a good size, have got good reviews, and have great colours!

The other bags recommended to me are Onya and Envirosax.

2. Use Reusable Produce Bags

The WA ban on single-use plastics interestingly doesn't extend to the thin bags used for produce.



This I thought was another easy way to say no to plastic, and I bought some Onya reusable mesh bags.

3. Use Reusable Coffee Cup

Who thought that the takeaway coffee cups were recyclable? 🙋🏻‍♀️Yep, me. I was shocked when I read how many cups Australians use per day and it all ends up in landfill.

I've always wanted a KeepCup, but never got one. This certainly pushed me to get one, plus I got to design my own pink one! (I really wanted the Artoo cup but I would use a medium more than a small.)

The other one I really liked is by Joco.

4. Use Reusable Wet Bags

I pack my boys' spare clothes for daycare in sandwich bags. The soiled clothes come back in either the sandwich bags or supermarket plastic bags. I reuse the bags as much as I can but I have thrown out quite a lot of sandwich bags.

An easy fix is to use reusable washable bags. I've seen some great ones with cute prints on eBay which I'm gonna get. I don't know why I'm not doing this already.

5. Use Reusable Straw

I've seen reusable straws, and I thought why on earth do we need those? Now I think why on earth are we using plastic straws!?

Some people have commented why we need straws at all. I like them, and also I need them for drinks like grass jelly, and bubble tea! It is possible to get wider straws for bubble tea or smoothies. Yay.

6. Use Reusable Cup for Juice / Smoothie / Bubble Tea

I've learned that places like Boost Juice and Utopia will fill reusable cups. Yay.

7. Use Reusable Containers for Takeaway

This is more of a tough one, I feel. I don't think the Asian aunties will be impressed if I ask to fill my own container at the combination rice station. Then again, maybe I'll be surprised. I just need to be brave and ask.

Not sure about meals made to order though, or Japanese bento boxes, etc. #foodforthought #punny

8. Refuse the Bottled Drink

This is a tough one for me! I like a drink with lunch, and often prefer the bottled drink because I think it's better value and I often put the lid back so I can finish it off after lunch.

Maybe I gotta just stick to cans from now on. Not that cans are better, they're just not as bad as plastic. And drink water (from my reusable bottle) more often!

Anyway, I hope by sharing this, I'm making a pledge to reduce plastic, and maybe I'll inspire someone else to do the same, and to show that it isn't that hard to make a difference. #PlasticFreeJuly #choosetorefuse

Comments